Trip ReportPinnacles -
My partner Pierson Bourquin and I climbed at Pinnacles National Park for 3 days after Thanksgiving. This was my second trip (my first trip was 12 yrs ago, and I only climbed at Discovery Wall), and Pierson's first. Here is a what we learned:
1. The weather forecast for Hollister (66/37) did not match our experience. It was 27 deg on Sat and Sun morning at 8 am - Brrrr! Damn!
2. No fires are allowed due to drought conditions (see above - Brrrr!)
3. There are hot showers, but don't forget your quarters like we did
4. There is no cell coverage, so tell your loved ones you'll be 100% offline
5. High Peaks trail (5.3 mile, 1300 ft) is AWESOME. If you have not hiked this trail, do it now. Stay for sunset. Better yet, climb a loose, lichen covered, scary run out Pinnacle at sunset!
Some friends joined us Saturday. Here are some of the climbs we ticked off
Discovery Wall – Portent 5.6, Ordeal 5.8, Wet Kiss 5.9, etc.
Monolith – Subterranean Tango 5.10aR and more
Tiburcio’s X – Coyote Ugly 5.9 – you need a #4 to supplement the bolts
Tourist Trap – Rat Race 5.7 – our favorite route this trip – awesome trad route with killer roof move – as good as Haystack?
The Back Door – Mr H.G. Rection 5.8 trad, Limp at Last 5.9
The Sisters – Center Route 5.5, Left Route 5.6 – great views of reservoir area
High Peaks – The Unmentionable 5.5, Hand Me Down 5.8 trad below Long’s Folley
Here is our ‘to do’ list for next trip:
1. Do more routes at Tourist Trap – area has short approach and good quality rock
2. Explore crags near the reservoir – The Hand, Gerties, The Frog
3. Check out The Yaks area
4. Lead Coyote Ugly on Tiburcio’s X again
5. Look at High Peaks climbs – Condor Conduit 5.7, 4 pitches, DragonFly Dome, Feather Canyon
6. Keep looking for Condors – 10 ft ave wing span!
Recent Trip Reports