I understand how applying fluoride to the tooth surface might help but how can ingesting it help? On toothpaste it says call poison control if you swallow a pea size amount of fluoride toothpaste. How do you regulate dosage in drinking water? Everyone drinks a varying amount and therefore it is impossible to regulate. I went on a call last week where a burglar broke into a house being fumigated, we had to enter in full haz mat suits. The only thing being used in the fumigation was fluoride. Why can I drink it but have to where a full on haz mat entry suit to enter a house being fumigated with the same stuff?