The Gun debate sandbox

Search
Go

Discussion Topic

Return to Forum List
Post a Reply
Messages 4941 - 4960 of total 5937 in this topic << First  |  < Previous  |  Show All  |  Next >  |  Last >>
Ron Anderson

Trad climber
Relic MilkEye and grandpoobah of HBRKRNH
Jun 6, 2014 - 08:15pm PT
Last week we had a mega shipemnt of 22, but this week it was a tiny shipment- and it sold out in minutes- and i had to tell the other half of the 70 plus people in line " sorry folks, we just sold out".. Thats my every friday job is to "monitor" the line due to near fights weve had,, now they are all well behaved as they know ill toss them out of the store if they start "mutherf*#kkering" people. I was given that task by the manager and since then all has been calm and civil in the line.. And we didnt get in a single new pound of powder this week which was strange. We had been doing pretty good.. Hopefully next week will be a re-bound..
crankster

Trad climber
Jun 6, 2014 - 08:19pm PT
Dang, Rifleman Ron, the gunNuts are getting restless. Better stock up before Hillary bans ammo sales!! Maybe pass out some free Slim Jim's to the mob.
Degaine

climber
Jun 7, 2014 - 02:14am PT
Ron Anderson wrote:
And about a hundred million OTHER GUNS killed no one.. My guns killed no one, and my buddies guns killed no one.. And ALL OF mys customers guns killed no one, and all their familys guns killed no one , and the NRA members guns killed no one and the militias guns killed no one, and the 700K at local gun ranges killed no one, and -- and --- and --- etc etc etc etc etc.


Ron Anderson wrote:
Ive given my opinion more than once Gary. Its been my personal observation that gen X and baby boomers have raised monsters. Ive seen enough of them to base that opinion on facts. Laws against correcting children, children allowed to shyt their drawers until age 3 and 4 because " they have to learn in their OWN times"...That may SEEM totally ridiculous and anecdotal at best, but its also a prime example of inactive ineffective parenting. And thats where it all starts. Even our society has been redesigned so that kids must raise themselves to a very large degree..And that experiment has been one large failure imho, along with the internet being a great resource and a DEVIL at the same time.

Ron,
Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal evidence.

But if you're going to use the "100 million guns killed no one" then you'll have to explain the logic of your second statement blaming the violence on gen X and baby boomers, when one could state the exact same thing: millions and millions of other kids/young adults killed no one.

I pointed this out before when you tried to make the same contradictory, illogical argument.

It's a multi-faceted issue, that includes both guns, upbringing, mental health, etc.
Degaine

climber
Jun 7, 2014 - 02:29am PT
Ron Anderson wrote:
No i dont Gary.. In fact the proliferation of weapons - some 20 million new gun owners in just the last couple of years has actually led to a DECREASE in violent crimes over all. And has been doing so since the nineties..Those are NOT anecdotal facts but pure statistics. The occurrence of violent crimes has gone down while gun ownership has soared.


There's is no evidence of a link between the two. If you actually have proof of a causal link, I'm all ears (or rather eyes, since I'll be reading).

When you look at the crime statistics from the late eighties into the nineties and you see the drop in crime rates, it corresponds to when post Roe v Wade babies would have been in their prime teenage / early twenties crime committing years. Though taboo for the mainstream media to discuss, there are several experts (economists, crime statisticians) who have indeed hypothesized - and provided the statistical analysis and evidence - that Roe v Wade helped to avoid the birth of babies (unwanted) that would have been raised in those conditions conducive to "producing" criminals.


Ron Anderson wrote:
It is for the most, school aged kids and young adults now committing these school shootings- those that were raised by boomers and gen x-ers. As much as kids now are of the instant gratification generation, so are the parents. Little jimmy acts out in class, call it ADD and give him ridlen. Little jimmy is depressed, give him mind drugs. There was NO SUCH THING as ADD when we grew up- as we had that cured by a principles paddle.


Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about. Funny that you've accused others of blaming the "proliferation of guns" as a feel-good cop out to the problem, and then you trot out the tripe you just wrote to make yourself feel good that these mass shootings are somebody's else's problem and doing and not yours.

As I just posted, there are tens of millions of kids not committing crimes or killing people, so strike one to your argument. Next, there are millions of well behaved kids who have never received physical punishment as a means of discipline, so strike two to your argument. And finally, could you remind us of how many kids you have and your experience in raising kids? Strike three to your argument.

FYI - your post comes off as chastising us parents for not beating our kids to discipline them. You don't in seem like the kind of guy who would advocate child abuse. Might want to work on your tone and reread what you write before posting.
Degaine

climber
Jun 7, 2014 - 02:36am PT
Toker Villain wrote:
I guess that there is no other way a criminal could get a gun. Certainly they wouldn't want to risk doing something illegal in order to acquire a firearm because the cops would always catch them and punish them.


That's the same type of argument made regarding illegal immigration - placing the blame on Mexicans crossing the border without the right paperwork as if companies like ConAgra or Purdue are just innocent victims in the whole affair and have never actively recruited immigrants illegally.

Gun manufacturers care about the bottom line. They and their lobbyists are powerful enough to push changes in the law for stricter enforcement if that is what they wanted. The day the government truly starts cracking down - perhaps it will start through the courts with huge settlements when plaintiffs start suing gun companies for wrongful death and winning - you can bet the gun companies will make sure that their products don't end up in the wrong hands.
xtrmecat

Big Wall climber
Kalispell, Montanagonia
Jun 7, 2014 - 04:25am PT
Hey Degaine,
I believe you miss the point. Many millions of law abiding citizens have a right protected by the constitution. We do not wish to have it infringed upon by you or like thinkers.

Stricter regulations may seem the solution but we choose not to give up our rights. Pretty simple.

You and the few thousand gun fearing folks will just have to find a solution that will be both effective and not restrict us law abiding folks. A little more difficult, but we won't stand for the easy way.

Burly Bob
Ron Anderson

Trad climber
Relic MilkEye and grandpoobah of HBRKRNH
Jun 7, 2014 - 06:49am PT
Dear Degaine,,I have MUCH experience raising kids more than ANY OF YOU KNOW here on this forum.

I will no give 1 tiny example from a lady i dated long ago. She had two young sons, ages five and six at the time. It would take her THIRTY times spread over two plus hours each and every night to get them to go to bed. She would threaten them with all manner of ways but never followed through and those two sons had zero "respect" for her and did as they pleased until after 9:00 pm and then some. Finally one night, she asked me to step in, and i told her id be happy to but that she must play by my rules. So the next evening i sat the two down and explained that they would now have to go to bed or else they would get a spanking from me and that i was serious. Of course they didnt believe me either due to previous training from their mother.. There had never actually been follow through consequences.

Upon hearing them tearing around in their room after i put them to bed , i walked in and told them both they would now get spanked, served up said spankings and put them each into their beds. I then went out and told the mother not to respond to any of their crying. That was rather hard for her,, but after that, when they were told to go to bed, they did just that and right then. She thanked me profusely and couldnt believe the results.


I do not talk about much of my personal life here or anywhere else on the internet. SO your strike three theory was just that. A theory..


Further more i AM of the baby boomer generation and have many friends and know many others in that and gen x, who i have personally observed as being extremely ineffective parents. The mere fact that little kids still shyt their britches at 3 and beyond is utterly ridiculous. ( in the late 50s/early 60s my siblings and i were potty trained at 14 months- there were no disposable diapers then). And the "learning in their own time" philosophy is a sad joke on them. In life, one must learn on many other time tables and not your own perceived ones.

Kids are out of control far more these days because thats the exact way they have been raised. And of course im NOT saying that ALL KIDS are raised that way. In fact ive commented about other STers here about how i observed their kids to be very well raised, like KennyTs youngsters who i met at the first woodfest. I observed them to be very well mannered and trained.







and +1 to xtremcat..





edit: And further more Deagaine,, it is NOT govts place to let thirteen yr old girls have free access to morning after pills WITHOUT parents knowledge. That in effect usurps parents rights.. Instead of doing the hard thing and raising kids with responsibility, the govt in its infinite stupidity decided to do just that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
BASE104

Social climber
An Oil Field
Jun 7, 2014 - 09:43am PT
Ron,

Do you have any kids of your own? I have a son who is 21 now and about to graduate from college.

Out of all of his friends growing up, there were only a few bad apples. I think that we were much worse growing up in the seventies.

Potty training for number two at 14 months I call bullsh#t. They have only been walking for 2 months on average and don't know how to speak yet.

jstan

climber
Jun 7, 2014 - 09:55am PT
A bunch of six year olds shot dead and then that video. It took all of that to give us discussions of potty training instead of talk about the constitution.

Is this enough to cause us actually to do something about it?
Degaine

climber
Jun 8, 2014 - 12:40am PT
xtremecat wrote:
I believe you miss the point. Many millions of law abiding citizens have a right protected by the constitution. We do not wish to have it infringed upon by you or like thinkers.


You're the one who missed the point and the utter contradiction of Ron's argument. If his argument is that guns aren't a problem because millions of guns and gun owners have not been used in mass shootings, then he can't argue that it's the bommers' and genx's faulty parenting skills since there are millions of their law-abiding kids not involved in mass shootings.

Do you see the failure in logic there?

Second, Toker Villain is naive and severely misinformed if he doesn't think that the gun manufacturers aren't complicit in the illegal sales of their weapons. They turn a blind eye to what is going on since it's good for the bottom line.

xtreme cat wrote:
Stricter regulations may seem the solution but we choose not to give up our rights. Pretty simple.

Let's start with enforcing the laws currently on the books and then at the least have a federal database for mental health issues and criminal records.

xtreme cat wrote:
You and the few thousand gun fearing folks will just have to find a solution that will be both effective and not restrict us law abiding folks. A little more difficult, but we won't stand for the easy way.


Gun fearing? You, Ron, and the apparently droves of people rushing to by guns every time the NRA erroneously claims that Obama will take their guns are the ones living in fear.

But I'll admit, if someone ever pointed a gun at me, yeah I'd be scared. And if you claim you wouldn't be, well you're just full of sh#t.
Degaine

climber
Jun 8, 2014 - 12:52am PT
Hi Ron,

You're anecdote is just that, an anecdote. But you indirectly answered my question, no you don't have kids, and hitting someone else's kids does not translate to parenting experience.

My kids behave just fine and I've never laid a hand on them. Violence begets violence.

You might think that hell has frozen over, but I do indeed 100% agree with you that boundaries need to be set.

Thing is, both myself and millions of other parents have been and are able to set boundaries without physical punishment. It's much harder work, but according to xtreme cat in his post above, that's what "your team" is all about, never taking the easy way out and working hard. Spanking, or hitting, or even going so far as to beat a kid is the easy way out, a cop out.

Ron Anderson wrote:
Further more i AM of the baby boomer generation and have many friends and know many others in that and gen x, who i have personally observed as being extremely ineffective parents. The mere fact that little kids still shyt their britches at 3 and beyond is utterly ridiculous. ( in the late 50s/early 60s my siblings and i were potty trained at 14 months- there were no disposable diapers then). And the "learning in their own time" philosophy is a sad joke on them. In life, one must learn on many other time tables and not your own perceived ones.

Kids are out of control far more these days because thats the exact way they have been raised. And of course im NOT saying that ALL KIDS are raised that way. In fact ive commented about other STers here about how i observed their kids to be very well raised, like KennyTs youngsters who i met at the first woodfest. I observed them to be very well mannered and trained.

Anecdotal, all anecdotal, and a complete contradiction to your logic (or lack thereof) from previous posts.

According to your very own posts, crime rates overall, murders, and mass shootings have dropped in recent years, so how could kids possibly be out of control? Or at least be behaving to an extent that's dangerous for society?

As elegantly put in Good Morning Vietnam, Ron, "you don't know whether you're shot, f*#ked, powder-burned or snake-bit."

Ron Anderson wrote:
edit: And further more Deagaine,, it is NOT govts place to let thirteen yr old girls have free access to morning after pills WITHOUT parents knowledge. That in effect usurps parents rights.. Instead of doing the hard thing and raising kids with responsibility, the govt in its infinite stupidity decided to do just that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?


Dude, seriously, put the bottle down. Where the f*#k did that comment come from? Where in any of my posts did I mention 13 year old girls and birth control?

Ron Anderson

Trad climber
Relic MilkEye and grandpoobah of HBRKRNH
Jun 8, 2014 - 07:09am PT
Ive has more than a few guns pointed at me degaine. Like a ruger blackhawk 357 magnum,, a model 92 winchester 30-30, and a ruger 308 carbine. Also a shotgun- remington 870 i think it was. And one of those doing said pointing died in that process from my gun.


And we will not agree on child raising technique. Period.


Meanwhile i watched some ballistic tests on my M1 carbine that ill soon have. IMRESSIVE penetration of syntex blocks put to bed the old rumor about the M1s lack of penetration abilities up to 300 yards. Once claimed in Korea not to have enough foot pounds of energy at that range to penetrate winter clothing of Korean soldiers. Even the soft point hunting bullet in 110 grains penetrated the syntex block about 22 inches deep of its 24" length. Thats what a gun debate is.

As far as you tit-willy libs go and your desire to see them leave the planet- AINT GONNA HAPPEN. In fact you loose that battle daily as good americans arm themsleves by the throngs. Ammo manufacturers burning the midnight oil 24/7. Your squarely a minority any more and dwindling as i type- because democrats are also flocking to the ranges to shoot their new weapons too. Seems just the hippie wanna bees to stoned to think rationally and the lunatic left politickshuns are the only ones left. And the most common phrase i hear is that "obama is the gun salesman of the century"...

In fact, in my life, there have never been more new people entering the gun owner status. There have never been more people securing CCW licenses , and never been more hunters afield than now and never been more crowded gun ranges.
Ron Anderson

Trad climber
Relic MilkEye and grandpoobah of HBRKRNH
Jun 8, 2014 - 07:24am PT
You must set at your computer 24/7 awaiting my posts so you can throw up that stupid pic. What a looser.

que crankuser and the fluffer....VVVVV
locker

climber
STFU n00b!!!
Jun 8, 2014 - 07:25am PT


"I observed them to be very well mannered and trained."...


Like a Circus Animal???....

Just wondering...





;-)

TGT

Social climber
So Cal
Jun 8, 2014 - 01:30pm PT
Wade Icey

Trad climber
www.alohashirtrescue.com
Jun 8, 2014 - 02:02pm PT
In fact, in my life, there have never been more new people entering the gun owner status. There have never been more people securing CCW licenses , and never been more hunters afield than now and never been more crowded gun ranges.

and there have never been more people who eschew guns, believe global warming is anthropogenic, bring dogs to the crag, believe in god, are Atheists, eat meat, are vegans, use chalk, chop bolts, sh#t on ledges, pee in the pool, hate obama, kill bears, join militias, go awol, kill biscuits...

that's because there has never been more people.
Degaine

climber
Jun 10, 2014 - 03:27am PT
Ron Anderson wrote:
And we will not agree on child raising technique. Period.

I find that statement rather odd. Do you view me as only an adversary with whom you can never ever agree?

Are you actually stating that you disagree with parenting methods that produce well-behaved children and upstanding citizens all the while never using any physical punishment?

If I boil it down, you only agree with parenting methods that involve spankings or beatings for discipline, do I have that right? You can't be serious?



Ron Anderson wrote:
As far as you tit-willy libs go and your desire to see them leave the planet- AINT GONNA HAPPEN. In fact you loose that battle daily as good americans arm themsleves by the throngs. Ammo manufacturers burning the midnight oil 24/7.


First, I find it ironic that you complain regularly about posters lumping you in with a particular group (Republicans, the right, GWB supporters, etc.), and then turn right around and generalize about "libs" instead of actually addressing my individual posts. I know, it's a chicken or the egg thing, and who knows who fired the first shot, but because "they" do it to you, you feel the need to return the bullshit (that goes for everyone) generalization favor.

Second, I personally find it disheartening, and dare I write tragic, that you rejoice in Americans heavily arming themselves. 2nd amendment aside, what does that say about our country where Americans feel the need to protect themselves in such a manner from other Americans? Are the notions of solidarity, helping one's neighbor, fellow countrymen only so much lip-service, propaganda, and clichés for Hallmark cards?

Third, and this is addressed to you and everyone else on this thread talking about your inalienable right as stated in the constitution to have a gun: could you please point out where in the US Constitution it states that gun (or weapons possession) can not be regulated? The first amendment is not without its limits, why should the second amendment be without limits?
HighDesertDJ

Trad climber
Jun 10, 2014 - 04:37am PT
Ron posted
And about a hundred million OTHER GUNS killed no one.. My guns killed no one, and my buddies guns killed no one.. And ALL OF mys customers guns killed no one, and all their familys guns killed no one , and the NRA members guns killed no one and the militias guns killed no one, and the 700K at local gun ranges killed no one, and -- and --- and --- etc etc etc etc etc.

Ron brings up an important point. We should clearly move to a system of incarcerating individual firearms for their crimes against humanity. Why should certain law abiding firearms be trigger locked or safetied when they have done nothing wrong? This is cut and dry violation of habeus musketus. The Supreme Court has decided that the second amendment firmly establishes the legal personhood of firearms and we need to take this into consideration within the greater discussion about guns.
crankster

Trad climber
Jun 10, 2014 - 05:56am PT
You are arguing with people without a soul. Give up and get as far away from them as possible.
7SacredPools

Trad climber
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Jun 10, 2014 - 06:40am PT
Ron said: Ive has more than a few guns pointed at me degaine. Like a ruger blackhawk 357 magnum,, a model 92 winchester 30-30, and a ruger 308 carbine. Also a shotgun- remington 870 i think it was. And one of those doing said pointing died in that process from my gun.

So...you you were able to kill a man who was pointing a gun at you?
And why just the one?
Maybe you should get a bullet proof blankie Ron, you know, for next time, just in case you can't get the first shot off.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/06/mass-shootings-blanket-children-guns

Garry
BTW, will someone please explain to a technonoob how to insert quotes and links properly?
Messages 4941 - 4960 of total 5937 in this topic << First  |  < Previous  |  Show All  |  Next >  |  Last >>
Return to Forum List
Post a Reply
 
Our Guidebooks
Check 'em out!
SuperTopo Guidebooks


Try a free sample topo!

 
SuperTopo on the Web

Review Categories
Recent Trip Report and Articles
Recent Route Beta
Recent Gear Reviews